Saturday, February 26, 2005

From Christine's Blog: mmmmm, chocolate!


"Mmmmmm, Chocolate." -- Homer Simpson Posted by Hello

Well, I have to admit that this opinyun class is just flat out fun. We get to eat chocolate bunnies, bash terrible movies (or praise them, sorry Nick), compete for cash prizes, and pretty soon we’ll be at Phil’s drinking pitchers of... uh... soda. But what I enjoy the most are the people in the class. They are all spirited writers with something fun and constructive to say, which makes it more comfortable when I’m reading a peice of my own.
Along those lines, I feel like I’m in a creative slump. I’ve been bogged down by monetary policy theory tests in one class and analyzing the worldviews of philosophers, biologists, Christians, Deists, and even the characters of King Lear (to name a few) in another. Not to say that I don’t enjoy those things (because I really am a huge nerd), but it’s hard switching gears sometimes. Luckily though, one hell week is over, and I have all weekend to focus on my fiction/contest piece and a paper defending the freedom of the press.So, while I feel mentally exhausted, I’m ready to chill out and write something fun for next week. After all, there’s cold hard cash on the line, and there’s nothing better than mullah to motivate a college student…oh, and a good grade, self-improvement, yada yada.
…umm, no. It’s really just the cash.

6 Comments:

At 11:02 PM, Blogger Joseph Dennis said...

Wow, Thanks Christine. I needed that. It's 12:45 on Saturday night. After three and a half years of "frattin' it up" I didn't think I could have any more fun, but I've realized senior year in college is better than even...AHA...senior year in high school. I'm not sure if it's the maturity level, but I have had more fun in the past two weeks with my "new" friends from Louisiana and Georgia than ever before. I got tired and came home to watch a movie, but decided to check my e-mail, facebook, and blogger news first. So I got a letter from an old girlfriend, a friend-invite from a guy I haven't seen since 2nd grade, and your post. This class is great. Just a thought...is there any way to set up an opinyun class for folks who are not in college? I think it is an incredible outlet of expression.

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger C G said...

Ahh, the computer trinity: e-mail, facebook, and the blogger dashboard...
Yeah, I "sorostituted" for a few years, but things really are different as a senior: the roommates are less dramatic, quality time doesn't always mean bar hopping, fewer midnight "rescue me!" phone calls from the Gallette's bathroom, and the excitment of change. The classes also get better (and a little harder). This class has made me realize that writing is actually fun, and now I'm always thinking of things to write about. I'm sure there are opinyun writin' classes available somewhere for peps not in college. There was one in that movie "My Girl."

 
At 5:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This class sounds awesome. I wish I could say I've ever had even one that I'd rate over average.
How can I get in if I'm not in Journalism? Are you guys for real or are you just sucking up to the professor?

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger C G said...

Heck yes, we're for real. Check out other students' blogs (linked above). A lot of us posted stuff about how much we like the class not expecting the prof to really read them. The teacher just asked me to post mine on the class blog to see what people would say. (or she just liked the chocolate bunnies picture)
Also, I think there are prerequisites involved for getting into the class that a non-journalism student more than likely wouldn't have. But hey, maybe you and Joseph could get together and start your own opinion writing class for when this one ends!

 
At 6:19 AM, Blogger carolyn mason said...

I'm thinking about writing my Newsweek piece on the terrific energy, enthusiasm and talent found in this class. It's a credit to the students (not the teacher) and it's a rare thing, not often found in my years of experience. I can't decide if it's the blog, the mixture of diverse opinions and personalities or if the stars are just aligned in my favor! Figuring that out will help guide my writing. (also, I'm not susceptible to sucking up.)

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger Justin McCoy said...

Allow me to quote from my first post, "Will this class be fun? ::consults the Magic 8 Ball:: Most Likely."

Everything is as the Magic 8 Ball predicts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home