Friday, March 11, 2005

Shackers, couches and vending machines...oh my!

Fiction Contest Winners!

Congratulations to the winners of the Fiction Writing Contest!! Melissa, the blushing blonde takes a walk on the wild side with her Shacker Shirt story winning first place. She also faked everyone out with her voice. I figured it had to be a guy, it was such a guy thing. Way to go Melissa!! Don't spend all the cash in one place. And I'm going to QUIT saying she won the pot. It kind of freaks out my family.

Second place, none other than Good Girl Emily Kornegay(also known as Special K but I have no idea why) Emily takes the voice of a Curbside Couch and also faked out the rest of us who had no idea a bad boy lurked beneath... Congratulations to Emily

The vending machine story, by Ty West won third place and I'm not going to say I thought a girl wrote it,,,,sorry Ty, it's just that the whole, vending machine class discussions, have given this class somewhat of a theme. Congratulations to Ty.

Nick and Christine tied for fourth place with two almost "dark" fiction pieces. Nick's Pancake piece was the only one I correctly guessed the author. It has some great lines and some creative imagery. Good job Nick and please post it on your blog. Christine wrote about the machine behind the alleged machine and managed to put a dark, creative spin on it. Good job.

The sweaty, looking for love, weight bench at the Rec Center was written by Rachel. Good job Rachel but you left without your Easter candy. Sorry, it's gone now...

Thanks for all your creative work. All the pieces were contenders and in other classes, would have been in the top 6.

Finally, as I was leaving Phils, the manager stopped me to complain that semester after semester, he never wins. Sorrreeeee....

Next Thursday, I expect you to be working on your Newsweek pieces while I am in NYC either a NEAL winner or a NEAL loser. Either way, I'll be celebrating at an Allman Brother's concert that night. (ever heard of them?)

Peace out kiddos!!!!

7 Comments:

At 7:13 PM, Blogger Melissa Cresswell said...

Of course I've heard of the Allman Bros.! Remember, my shacker shirt had been passed around more times than a joint at an Allman Brothers concert?!? Actually I'm really jealous...I LOVE THEM! Of course, they are my namesake, "Sweet Melissa". No really, I was named after the song. I was supposed to be "Jessica" (like the song) until my dad's best friend had a girl 6 months before me and beat him to the punch! Have fun! Thanks for Phil's!

 
At 5:34 AM, Blogger Emily Kornegay said...

Why is it so novel that we have heard of the Allman Brothers? I may have to write a rant on the misconceptions adults have about my generation. Last weekend, I walked into Gallette's and started singing along with the song that was playing. A man about my dad's age approached me (p.s. what was he doing in Gallette's?) and said, "Now how does someoe your age know the words to Statesboro Blues?" I told him "Sir, I know the whole album." Apparently it was news to him that the Allman Brothers were not exclusively reserved for his generation.

The fiction contest was so much fun! I am thrilled that I fooled everyone! Don't worry, I don't have a sleazy alcoholic inner bad boy -- but I have dated some. Have a great weekend, everyone!

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger carolyn mason said...

Sorry, I was being sarcastic about the Allman Brothers. Actually, the first thing I said to my husband when he said he had bought the tickets was, "they are still alive?"
I mean, those guys were old when I was young. So there ya go.
Rock on.

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger David Lee Roth said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger David Lee Roth said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger David Lee Roth said...

The Allman Brothers are still a round because they reformed the band numerous times with new members. They had too.

Thanks to motorcycle accidents and too much whiskey members kept dying off or losing their ability to play.

Speaking of Dickey Betts, he must beone of the greatest guitarist of all time. And coming from someone who writes under the pseudonym of Van Halen's ex-frontman that's really saying something.

Check out the band's whole history here:

http://www.allmanbrothersband.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=userpage&file=content&page_id=33

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger David Lee Roth said...

Why do all my posts appear so many times!?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home